Monday, March 30, 2009

Life goes on here. Not much new or exciting, just life. I guess that is how it is supposed to be. The weather is starting to be warm on a more consistent basis. I have lots of pretty flowers growing and a few vegetables. I really do enjoy working in the yard.

I haven't heard much on my background check. I am going to call them this week and see what the status is. I faxed one document to them twice because they said they didn't get it the first time. I didn't hear back so I think they must have got the second one but I don't know for sure.

I got my botox shot but it is always a bit difficult to tell how effective it is going to be for a few weeks. There are many times when I regret ever having the surgery done but I guess that is really useless regret. I went to Page after the shot, spent the night there. Bill was in CA so I was there by myself. He had left a list of things he needed me to do or check out. I also picked up some things I didn't get when I left. I had breakfast with Charlene and Sheila the next morning. It was really nice to see them. I didn't think Charlene was ever going to quit hugging me. After breakfast I went to Hatch to help Janett out for a few days after her shoulder surgery. I stayed at her house all but the last night. I really enjoyed being there with her. Susan and the baby were also there. I spent time with Mom and Dad each day and one night they took us all out to dinner for our birthdays. When I left Dad hugged me and told me to be careful and that he missed me and was sorry he couldn't do more for me in my life. I told him he had loved me and that was all I needed. He had tears in his eyes. I had said goodbye to Mom the night before because I knew she wouldn't be up when I left. When I packed my little cooler for the road she had put a sweet roll in it along with a note that said "Give Lisa a hug for us." I am so blessed to have such good parents.

6 comments:

Tom & Cindy said...

Jay: I have D.S. and have had my 2nd Botox shot (Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN) and have not been pleased with the results...I've been thinking of discussing surgery with the ENT @ Mayo. So I noticed your reference to surgery and having regrets. I read all the posts in your blog but could find no further discussion. Could you share what type of surgery and why it did not work. What advice do you have? Thanks. Tom

Tom & Cindy said...

Dyslexia also, heh, heh. Not D.S. but S.D. Tom

Jay said...

I had thyroplasty II surgery and then a revision of the original surgery. I really had high hopes for the surgery. I have been getting botox injections for about 15 years. At first they worked really well but then got less effective. Since the thyroplasty revision nothing seems to work really well. Sometimes I have a hard time getting any sound out at all. Sometimes I have a fairly good voice - nothing is consistent. My voice is my livlihood so . . .I am in a tough spot.

I have Adductor SD. At times it is almost like I can feel the silastic implant trying to do what it is supposed to do - keep the vocal cords from spasming but those are the times when I can get almost no sound out. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

J

Tom & Cindy said...

Thanks...I'm only on my 2nd Botox shot. First had no effect. 2nd had a major effect where I'm still in the "breathiness" stage 5 weeks after). So they're trying to dial in to the right dosage (if there is such a thing). After I have a few injections, I want to talk about the surgery option with the folks at Mayo...Also it was interesting to read that Scott Adams stated (I'm paraphrasing) that the shots or speech therapist were effective so he chose another type of surgery (seems high risk) where the nerve to the larynx was severed and reconnected with another nerve. That reconnected (new) nerve seems to work. So that's something else to consider BUT it seems that is only a last ditch, desperation measure since I can see that if that surgey is not successful, a person could have zero speaking capability.

Thanks again. Tom

Jay said...

They do have to play with the dosage on the first few injections to find what is right for you. They worked very well for me for quite a few years. I am familiar with the surgery Scott Adams had. I have recently moved from AZ to Southern CA and am near Dr Berke who performs the surgery. I have considered it but I would like to try some speech therapy first. I am sure after so many years of doing almost anything to be understood I have acquired some really bad habits.

Good luck to you
J

Tom & Cindy said...

Would you be willing to communicate directly instead of posting everything on the blog? If so, send this to: k3wt@yahoo.com (my ham radio call sign).

I have a couple of more followup questions, if you're willing to answer them.

Thanks.

Tom