Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thoughts About Death

Last night our station lost a deputy to an off duty motorcycle accident. He was 27, his wife is 7 months pregnant with their first child. Last month I lost a long time friend due to complications from an automobile accident. Even though he was several decades older than the deputy his death was still unexpected and a shock to me. I have had a hard time wrapping my mind around these deaths. Today I kept thinking that Deputy Glover would never make another traffic stop, he will never help us out on the desk again, his wife will have no one to bring dinner to, he will never see another sunrise or kiss his unborn child. Kent Hirschi will never come to the house again for a visit and stay for an hour long nap, he and Bill will never again argue over the myriad of silly little things they always argued over. There are no "do overs" for these two men. No more time to make amends for past hurts or mistakes, no second chance to tell someone how much they loved them or how they influenced their life for good.

Sometimes I have a hard time with life and think this earthly life is way too long but when something like this happens I seem to see things through different eyes. The grass seems a bit greener, the sun a bit warmer. I want to reach out to those I love and tell them how, and why, they are important to me because . . .what if tomorrow is too late?

No comments: