Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I often things about things I want to write here but they never seem to make it from my thoughts to the written word. It seems like when I sit down to write all of the thoughts just fly out of my head.

It has been a rough 6 months around here. Some of Lisa's meds weren't playing nice with each other and there was some pretty big adjustments to be made. I will let her post more on details if she chooses - I think it wore us both out and now we are in the process of getting back on track.

I still have some fluctuation with my voice. I have to work harder to talk than I would like to but it is easier to get out understandable sound than it was before the surgery. I could probably benefit from a few sessions of speech therapy but, for now, am finding little things I need to do on my own to make it easier. It is really nice to be able to walk into a bank or order from a drive thru and be understood.

We went to the mall on Saturday to do a bit of shopping and maybe find some shoes. We went into Footlocker and had each found a fair of shoes we were interested in. About that time one of the workers walked by and made a comment to her co-workers about "homosexuals" and then found the need to repeat it. I couldn't even tell you what she said because she emphasized that one word so heavily. We looked at each other and decided we probably didn't need to buy shoes from there. I was actually a bit stunned because that has never happened to me before. I have had people look at me and I knew they knew I was a lesbian but never a situation where someone was so blatantly rude about it. I contemplated going back to the store, asking for the manager, and telling him/her they had just lost 2 sales and why. Still not sure if that is something I should have done. One thing I am sure of is that I will never buy another pair of shoes at Footlocker!

No comments: