Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Job

I didn't realize I haven't posted since I learned I had a job. I started on September 28. The job is much the same, but at the same time quite different, from what I did in Page. I think the basics of call taking are the same no matter where you go. There is certain information that you have to get. That is a huge part of the job. I started taking calls my third day on the desk and by the end of last week I was doing the majority of it on my own. I think I will like the job OK.

This week I started a three week training course that is mandated by the state for all dispatchers. The worst thing about it is that it is Whittier and it is a 75 mile drive one way. We decided we could afford for me to stay there one night a week so I stay on Wednesdays. It is like most training, some very interesting and some quite boring. Tuesday and today the class was on critical incidents. I think I listened with different ears than I used to, realizing that many of the things discussed (earthquakes, wildfires, mass transit accidents) could very well happen on my shift. In Page there wasn't much chance of that. Today we talked about things like suicidal callers. It was kind of a hard class for me because it brought to mind calls I have handled that I would rather forget. I have a ton of memorizing to do. I have over 200 codes and several pages of abbreviations I will be tested on next week.

1 comment:

Mayor of Jackieville said...

Hi Ladies,
I havent been around the blogosphere much lately plus I shut my old blog down and started up a new one as myself and not doing the "anonymous" thing anymore. I wanted to stop in and say hello and I'm sorry I have not stopped by lately but hope you are both doing well. I see you still have a link up to my (old) blog and I appreciate the support. If you wish to link to my new blog, here is the URL --

http://jackievilleblog.blogspot.com
Thank you for all your support and kind words over the past couple of years while I was known to everyone as 'UnstableBlogger' -- I'm now just going to blog as me and see how it goes :)

Take care!!
Jackie