Friday, December 4, 2009

A Meeting With the Bishop

When Lisa went to pick Jared up from Cub Scouts this week the Bishop was there and invited her into his office for a chat. It seems like our run of annonymity has expired. I should be getting a call from his executive secretary sometime soon to set up an appointment for me to meet with him. The long and short of his conversation with Lisa was that she could either resign her membership or be excommunicated. I imagine I will be given the same choice.

Not too awfully long ago the thoughts of a meeting like this would have filled me with fear and uncertainty. It no longer does. I am willing to go meet with the Bishop, listen to what he has to say and answer questions he may have. What I am not willing to do is resign my church membership. I feel like if I do that I would be saying I know longer want to be a part of the organization when in reality it is the other way around. I also don't intend on going to any church council or court they may have. I feel no bitterness and understand he has to do what he feels is best. I guess I have been preparing myself for this moment for the last year. No matter what they choose to do in regards to my membership I know who I am and the Lord knows who I am. That is good enough for me. I know it will break my parents hearts and that is really my only regret.

The people in this ward have treated us very well. I don't know how many of them are aware of the nature of our relationship but I know a few are. It isn't something we really advertise but, if asked, it is also not something we deny. I don't plan on altering my pattern of church attendance. I will be working Sunday days for at least the next 4 months so attending will be out for that long.

7 comments:

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

I'll be thinking of you guys.

Jay said...

Thanks John - you are a great example and inspiration to me.

J

Anonymous said...

I share your perspective, that if the Church doesn't want me, they'll have to do something about it. I doubt I'll ever resign my membership willingly, because it means too much to me. If it does come to excommunication for either or both of you, I know it will be a horrible blow. Hang in there and know that the Church's actions regarding membership do not equal God's judgment of your worthiness to be his daughter. Excommunication is an administrative, not spiritual, excercise.

Jay said...

Thanks for stopping by. I am OK with whatever administrative decision the Bishop makes regarding my membership. I have felt the Lord in my life more in the last 18 months than I ever have before. Since we made the decision to start this life together things have fallen into place in an amazing way.

Anonymous said...

Good luck in your meeting with the Bishop.

I was an Emergency and Police dispatcher for a local county Sheriff's office here in Utah before I became a teacher. That is stressful work and I admire anyone who can do it, who does it well, and who stays at it for a while.

I am very grateful for all of the training it gave me. I fell like there is not any emergency I could not now handle. I dealt with some pretty awful calls and situations when I did dispatch. I am glad those days of having others' lives in my hands like that are done... my hat is off to you for your work!

Hope you have a good day!

Jay said...

I love my job as a dispatcher. I worked for a small city agency in Northern AZ for 5 years before coming to work for LA County Sheriffs so this is quite a change from what I am used too. I'm still not totally comfortable but know that will come with time.

I read your comment over on JG-W's blog about internet groups. I think I belonged to the same two groups you tried out. I was quite involved in the first group you mentioned for a long time. I no longer belong to any internet groups now.

Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I also no longer am a member of any Internet groups. I suppose they served their purpose at the time, but it was time to move on. I think I read from someone that when people join online support groups, the trick is NOT to stay longer than needed. I agree.

Yes, that is quite a switch going from LA to a smaller (?) area? Much easier and hopefully not quite as stressful.

After dispatching, teaching Jr. and Senior High and dealing with them and their parents is a piece of cake! :)

Thank you for letting me drop by. :)