Monday, October 4, 2010

The "Talk" and Other Stuff

I have spent two days reading the uproar following the conference talk by BKP. I think what I feel is more of a sadness than outrage or anger. It makes me sad to know that most of my family listened to the talk and I wonder what affect it had on them. My relationship with my family has been so good through out all of this. No one has ever made me feel like I just didn't try hard enough - if anything I have been harder on myself in that area than my family has. I worry about the effect this talk will have on gay friends I love who are trying to remain in the church, those who are already struggling with guilt over who they are. I remember when I used to listen to GC, I used to cringe when BKP would get up to talk. I guest mostly, and I feel a bit selfish even saying this, I am glad I am at a place in my life where this doesn't have the ability to send me off into despair the way it once would.

I know I have mentioned this before but - I love where we live. I love watching the fields as they go through a crop cycle. I love it that I can tell what is being harvested as I ride by on my motorcycle. In June the air smelled like strawberries, lately it has smelled like peppers, not sure what kind but it's a red pepper that is used to make hot sauce. I also see fields of butternut squash almost ready to harvest. It amazes me that they grow several different crops on the same plot of land throughout the year. Once one harvest done the field is plowed under and the cycle starts all over again.

I am going to have to dig out some of my old hobbies. With Lisa gone working during the day I find myself not knowing what to do so I have a tendency to just sleep or lay on the bed. I will have to go back to making quilts or even cross stitching! One of the side effects of the HCG I really miss is the energy the drops gave me.

2 weeks from tomorrow is my surgery. That means I have to stop taking everything that could possibly act as a blood thinner, aspirin, excedrin, advil, vitamin e, etc. I try to think about the surgery a bit every day but not so much that I freak out about it. I am trying to mentally prepare myself for the recovery period which, I fear, is going to be much longer, harder, and frustrating than I want it to be.

4 comments:

? said...

I just read over the talk, and I sit here wondering what my Mom was thinking during that talk. My Mom says it is not her place to report me, mostly I think she is embarrassed of me. She keeps holding onto the hope that this will go away, and I can't say I don't wish the same. I can't make it go away, no matter what BKP says. It is hard to understand unless you're in it I think. It is hard for me to get angry at them, because they really believe what they are saying and don't have bad intentions behind it. It just sucks for those of us living in it, and those members who have family who are in it. It is the chruch's intolerance that made me leave it, not God. God has led me to find a faith community where I can be accepted and loved and learn to incoorporate spirituality into my life. God is good, religion is made by humans and is terribly flawed. So glad to hear his message didn't tear you down. take care

Jay said...

Did you read the version that was given at conference or the "sanitized" version? Not that it matters much but the sanitized version was much less offensive.

Take care

? said...

I read the html version that is posted on the lds website, I'm not sure which version that is. Is that the original or the "sanitized" version? I didn't even know that there were multiple versions.

Jay said...

I haven't read it but I believe it is probably the version that was changed. To get what was really said you would probably have to watch it on YouTube or read one of the many blogs that note the changesj