Thursday, January 14, 2010

Being Happy

Is happiness really just a choice, as I so often hear? What all is involved in being happy? What is happiness? Is it the absence of stress, the absence of trials? How much responsibility to we have for anothers happiness? Can one person truly make another person happy?

I am happy right now. I have worries, but I am still happy. Sometimes my job makes my mind really, really tired, and it is hard to be pleasant to everyone that calls in. Hard to remember that, to them, their call is very important even though I may think a good dose of common sense would solve the problem.

I remember a time in my life when I was not only unhappy I was downright miserable. I went to work, shut my office door and sit under the desk in the dark for at least a portion of every day. I hated it and when I got out of that place I swore I would never go back there again. A couple of years later I found myself in circumstances that threatened to put me back to that dark place. It took me a few months but I fought my way out. I guard and protect my happiness very fiercely. I wonder if this makes me selfish. I have people in my life that I love with my whole heart and soul and I would love to be able to give them happiness. I don't know how to do that and it hurts my heart.

2 comments:

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

I do believe that our outward circumstances have less to do with our happiness than we generally think.

I do also believe that our choice to have a positive outlook has an effect on our ability to deal successfully with the difficult circumstances in our lives. Some things we cannot change; a positive outlook helps us make peace with that. Some things we can change; and a positive outlook gives us the energy and creativity and patience to change them.

I don't know if this makes sense... But we can be in incredibly painful, difficult circumstances, and we can still be happy. It's not that we choose to overlook the bad in our lives. But it's that we find a place of peace and happiness within that can't be touched by what's on the outside. We can be determined to share whatever peace we have with others, to do whatever we can to improve our situation and the situation of others. We can always do that, no matter what our circumstances. And that's where true happiness comes from, I think.

Jay said...

Thanks for your thoughts John. I think I may be close to that place of inner happiness and peace you describe - Not there quite yet but I believe I am closer than I ever have been.