Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fathers Day

Just a quick tribute to my dad on fathers day. He is a wonderful man, very kind, non-judgemental. He has such a sense of humor, he makes me smile every time I am with him. He is always there to help anyone who needs help. His kids, grandkids, and great grandkids all adore him. He taught me how to fish, how to cook in a dutch oven, was with me when I killed my first (and only) deer. He taught me how to feed a dogie lamb and how to get a calf to feed from a bucket. I remember summer nights with him and grandpa up at the field, they would milk cows and me, my siblings and cousins would play on the old farm machinery up there. When they were done we would all jump in the back of the truck for the ride home.

I don't believe I have ever felt anything but love from him. I know he hasn't always agreed with the way I have lived my life or the decisions I have made but I have never doubted that he loved me. I love spending time with him and mom, whether it is cutting wood, camping or just sitting at home I love being with them. I feel such a sense of peace when I am home and I love them for making home a good place, a place we all want to return to.

I often wonder how he and mom did what they did. The most he ever made at his job was about $9.00 an hour. On that they raised 6 kids and a foster son. We raised pigs, cows, chickens, sheep, even turkeys one year. Even now he goes out to feed his *livestock* every morning - 4 feral cats. We always had a huge garden and he still does. He will be 81 in October and he still raises enough potatoes to feed the whole family, still goes out several times a year to cut wood for the stove. He and mom will often go out on the 4 wheeler, just riding in the hills and take a picnic lunch with them.

I love my parents for who they are, and for who I am because of them. I love them for their kindness and acceptance of Lisa, for always making her feel welcome in their home.

Happy Fathers Day Dad, I love you.

No comments: